An impressive entrance arch and elegant little lodge house (now demolished), at the north entry to the grounds from Selkirk, are also matching pieces to Archibald Elliot's design (the gate constructed in 1825 by John Smith,34 after Elliot's death in 1823, probably acting as contractor to carry out his
designs) as is the octagonal Larder perched on the side of the gully, behind what is presumably a barn or stable, left over from the older group of structures (or a new one constructed by John or his father).
A row of statues in the style of Canova were placed on the south terrace (and noted in the map of 1823 as shown below).
Not shown on Wood's map of 1823, but probably constructed only slightly later, are new stables, west of the house, on the far side of the gully. These conform generally to the Elliot—scheme`s aesthetic (though not shown in either of the views), and the inward curve of their front to the Loch would make sense as the end piece to the long modelled elevation; a quiet echo of the more eye-catching, outward curve of the house's central bow. As it is, the distance between stables and house is too great for visual links, so the stables' formality, like that of the house, now has a strangely disconnected feel.
John Pringle is said to have brought a bear and wolf to the estate, and local tradition has it these were kept in two small caged enclosures, west of the stables.35 (Both are marked as dog kennels on the OS map of 1858.) Lastly, there is an ice house, dug into the north slope of the gully in fill that carried the west drive, whose line now ran north of the house and past the stables instead of through the ground to be covered by the new west wing. Given the amount of earth shifting necessary, practicality implies that both infill and ice house are of the same date.
On John's death, his brother Robert, inherited.
He too was a soldier (with twenty—five years service), and a Whig, winning, in 1834, the seat for the county after the Reform Act, but losing it to the anti-reform Tories (Pringle of Whytbank), the following
year. When he died unmarried eleven years later, his married sister Margaret was the heir and after her, her married daughter Anne. Childless, she willed the estate to an Andrew Seth (possibly her father's or husbands kin), Professor of Logic and Metaphysics in Edinburgh University from 1891 to 1919, who took it over on Anne's death in 1898.36 His son, Norman, inherited in 1931, and lived eight years at Haining before selling the estate to a Thomas Place?
With Roberts death, the long line of resident owners came to a halt. His sister, who lived mainly by Hawick,38 leased the estate for some years at least (her husband had severe financial difficulties)." Her daughter, who suffered intermittently from severe bouts of fever (and was eventually declared too unfit to look after her affairs), lived in Melrose. Seth appears to have stayed there some of the year at least, but in 1922, it was up for lease again.'"' The same year Place bought it, the estate was requisitioned for the army, still there after it was next put up for sale in 1943.
The house and cow park were placed under military occupation. In 1940 bear cage was used by Polish troops to house their mascot, Wojtek, the bear. The house and gardens suffered considerable damage. Around 1943 the older house (shown on the left) was burned down and the remains were demolished and army buildings were erected on the grounds.
The new owner, a Mark Faudry, stayed in the house for a couple of years or so after the army left, but by 1948 Haining had changed hands again (to an Adam Bell), and again by 1950 (to Rodger (Builders) Ltd, of Earlston)"
In 1959, it was bought by Andrew Nimmo Smith, a Seth grandson. For fifty years, he lived on the estate and, on his death in 2009, he passed the ownership onto a Trust he had set up for the benefit of the community of Selkirkshire and the wider public. The Estate The 1938 Sale Catalogue shows how enormously the estate had grown from its small beginnings. Inheritance, marriages, purchases and the share of common land had expanded The Haining to 2,585 acres (with also the adjacent farms of Greenhill, 901 acres, and Howden, 426 acres). By 2009, it was back to a small edge of land around the Loch and north of the house.
Despite rapid change in ownership, the core park land of 1757 has remained, in general, remarkably constant in its planting and boundaries. The army did contribute a field of spent (and live) bullets from its practice range, and some temporary buildings (now gone), far from the house. In more recent years, there was a rash of sciatica spruce, 4.5 acres of which was removed in 2005, to be replaced by oak. Saplings have also spread around the Loch's north- west side, closing what was once an open view from the terrace across Doocot Park to the hills (one of the consistent features on pre—1900s maps). Weed has spread on the Loch (treated in 1911 with a solution of sulphate of copper) and, as could be expected, houses too are slowly spreading out from Selkirk, but not in any quantity. These are only some of the many small changes that have occurred, but none, so far, have altered the land's character in any significant-or irreversible-way.
Page . . . 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 . . . Next > >